Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day


For Labor Day weekend, Chris and I spent a few days up in Mammoth Lakes, where we usually ski in the winter.  Last March he lost one of his skis on the mountain, and we were hoping the snow would be melted enough to finally find it.

It was a beautiful morning on Saturday when we hiked up the mountain to where he though the ski might be (he had already searched a few months ago, but there was one area where the snow hadn't melted enough until now). No luck finding the ski, though, and we've given up the search.  It was a beautiful morning, though, and at least I got a couple of nice pictures (and a bug bite or two!):
 High hopes to start out the hike.

The "hole in the wall", that used to be covered in snow over the winter.

Searching for the ski.

The sky couldn't have been bluer, I swear.

No ski after all :(.

Mammoth is about a 5-hour drive each way, depending on traffic, which meant lots of knitting time for me this weekend.  I was a bit concerned about working on my Lowry Pullover in the car, since it requires actually looking at what I'm doing on the cable rows, and in the last several years I've really started getting nauseous when I read or stare at my knitting in the car.  So I got myself a set of Psi Bands to see if they would work (since I kind of hate Dramamine because it puts me to sleep), and surprisingly enough it really seemed to do the trick!  My yarn was even making happy swirls at me as I pulled it out of the skein:
Happy swirls of yarn.

I'm making really good progress on my sweater, having already finished the waist shaping.  Doing the sleeves first had the added benefit of getting me to memorize the cable chart, so I only have to count my rows so I can remember which one I'm on.  I might actually finish this sweater in time after all!
Done with waist shaping, almost ready to divide for the V-neck.

Also, while we were in Mammoth, we stopped by the Labor Day Festival of the Arts.  No pictures, unfortunately, despite all the fantastic handcrafted stuff, mostly because I felt it would be rude to take pictures of stuff I wasn't buying.  Oh, well, I'm still learning… 

Happy Labor Day to all, and I hope you had a wonderful holiday!

No comments: