Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tour de Fleece Week 2 Update

Now we're two weeks into Tour de Fleece 2011, and I've made a bit more progress on my spinning (though still not as much as I had hoped, thanks to the current state of my kitchen).  This week I spun up some superwash merino from Susan's Kitchen in the Water Depths colorway.

 Unspun fiber (very pretty!).

I think I bought this fiber at WeFF in 2009, but I didn't write it down so I don't remember for sure (note to self: write things like this down in the future!).  The blues were so pretty I couldn’t resist.  The colors marled in a really lovely way in the singles:

 Singles on the bobbin.

 A better view of marling in the singles.

I tried not predrafting or splitting this fiber at all, and instead I attempted to spin "across the web", if that's the right term.  This was a bit challenging for me, and I probably should have gone down a ratio or two to compensate for my slower drafting.  When I plied the yarn, it ended up nicely squishy and springy, even though I think I overspun it a bit.

 Plied yarn on the bobbin.

 Plied yarn in the skein.

The yarn ended up a heavy worsted weight-ish, and is closer in WPI to what I consider to be my default yarn.  I'm not quite sure what I want to make with it yet, but it does look like good hat yarn.

The Yarny Details
Wheel:
Spinolution Hopper
Spinning Ratio: 
6.25
Singles WPI:
22-24
Draw:
Short, mostly worsted
Plying Ratio:
4.25
Finished plies:
2
Plied WPI:
6-8
Weight:
 ~4 oz.
Approx. Yardage:
118


I also started spinning some SW merino/Seacell/Banana fiber mix.

 Unspun fiber (love how the Seacell and banana didn't take the dye).

This fiber is taking a bit longer cause I'm spinning the singles pretty fine (for me), but I predrafted the fiber (without splitting it at all) so it's spinning really nicely.

 Beginning of a bobbin of singles.

And in other news, I have been getting some knitting done this past week.  I'm working on Kiama, a pattern I fell in love with because it looks incredibly flattering on everyone, and I always need more layering pieces for wearing to work because the air conditioning is always a bit chilly in my office.

 My Kiama in progress.

I'm using some yarn that's been in my stash for quite awhile.  It's Twist, a cotton/acrylic/rayon/nylon blend from Knit Picks, though I believe the yarn has been discontinued.  I've been working on this sweater for about 3 weeks now, and I'm making really great progress.  Hopefully I can finish this up soon so I can wear it this summer!

Until next week, happy knitting (and spinning) :)!

No comments: