Sunday, July 31, 2011

Baby Hats!

I'm going to the LA Dodgers Stitch-n-Pitch game in just under 2 weeks, and I recently found out that Stitches from the Heart will be accepting donations at the game.  So I'm taking a break from focusing on my own knitted tops, and I designed a super-cute, super easy baby hat using leftover sock yarn.  Here's the pattern:

You will need:
  • About 20 grams (something around 80 yards) of sock yarn
  • Size 3 knitting needles, either DPNs or a long circular for Magic Loop

Gauge is not really critical for this project.  As long as you're comfortable with the fabric you're getting, just go with it (otherwise go up or down a needle size or two until you like it).

Instructions:
CO 3 sts.
Knit I-cord for about 2 1/2 inches.
Rnd 1: Kf&b around (6 sts).
Rnd 2, and all even rounds: K around.
Rnd 3: K1, M1 around (12 sts).
Rnd 5: K2, M1 around (18 sts).
Rnd 7: K3, M1 around (24 sts).

Continue in this manner, increasing 6 sts every other row, until your knitted circle is approximately 5 inches in diameter.  I usually end up with something between 80 and 90 total stitches around.

Knit even until the hat measures approximately 6 1/2 inches, not counting the I-cord.  Bind off loosely, weave in your ends, and tie the I-cord in a knot for extra cuteness.

My favorite thing about knitting hats top-down is that you don't need a gauge swatch, and my second favorite thing is that you can pretty much knit until you run out of yarn, as long as the length is close enough.

Some easy variations on this pattern, if you like:
  • You can use pretty much any weight yarn you'd like.  Just pick needles that work with the yarn, and stop increases when your circle is big enough.
  • If you don't like the rolled brim, you can change it to a ribbed brim pretty easily: when the hat measures between 4 1/2 and 5 inches, start your rib pattern (1x1 or 2x2, or any rib pattern you'd like), and work for about an inch before binding off.  Or feel free to use a different pattern for the brim.

Now back to making more baby hats from my leftover sock yarn!

No comments: